Oil sands area alberta

7 Jan 2013 Oil sands in Alberta, Canada, hold some of the world's largest PAHs in lake sediment cores 200 kilometres downstream from the mining area. The Syncrude oil sands plant is seen north of Fort McMurray, Alberta. The oil sands give Alberta the third largest reserves in the world, but extracting the oil is energy-intensive and destructive to the landscape. Alberta's oil sands has the third largest oil reserves in the world, after Venezuela and Saudi Arabia. Alberta's oil sands’ proven reserves equal about 165.4 billion barrels (bbl). Crude bitumen production (mined and in situ) totalled about 2.8 million barrels per day (bbl/d) in 2017.

The Peace River oil sands located in northwest-central Alberta are the smallest of the three major oil sands deposits in Alberta. The Peace River oil sands lie generally in the watershed of the Peace River, the largest river in Alberta. Or 0.55% of the Total Oil Sands Area SURFACE MINEABLEAREA 475,000 Ha (4,750 km2) 51.5 Townships Or 3% of Total Oil Sands Area 99% Surface Mineable Area Under Lease ATHABASCA OIL SANDS AREA 9.3 million Ha (93,000 km2) Or 66% of Total Oil Sands Area 74% Area Under Lease COLD LAKE OILSANDS AREA 1.8 million Ha (18,000km2) The Athabasca oil sands, also known as the Athabasca tar sands, [not verified in body] are large deposits of bitumen or extremely heavy crude oil, located in northeastern Alberta, Canada – roughly centred on the boomtown of Fort McMurray.These oil sands, hosted primarily in the McMurray Formation, consist of a mixture of crude bitumen (a semi-solid rock-like form of crude oil), silica sand Alberta oil sands could eventually acidify area size of Germany, study suggests - The Globe and Mail Environment Canada researchers conducting the largest survey of its kind found that in 2013 more the Athabasca region, some of the oil sands are near enough to the surface that they can be surface mined. In the remaining regions, however, the bitumen must be extracted through other methods. The Cold Lake area covers about 18,000 sq km (6,950 sq. mi.). At 300 to 600 m (984 to 1,969 ft.) below the surface, The Alberta Energy and Utility Board estimates that these contain about 1.6 trillion barrels of oil - about 14% of all of the world's total oil resource. The largest deposit is the Athabasca Oil Sands [1]. Location of Alberta oil sands deposits: Map showing the location of the Athabasca, Cold Lake, Only 20% of the Alberta oil sands is mineable (by surface area) The remaining 80% of oil is too deep and can only be extracted using in-situ methods with minimal land disturbance. Oil sands surface area: 142,000 km2. Mineable oil sands area cleared or disturbed: 767 km2.

3 Aug 2015 the awesome scale and devastating impact of Alberta's oil sands with wet muskeg area in the boreal forest features several oil or bitumen 

The oilsands cover an area of approximately 142,200 square kilometres in the Athabasca, Cold Lake and Peace River areas in northern Alberta. About three per  There are three tar sands areas in Alberta: Peace River, Cold Lake and. Athabasca – stretching across an area of 54,000 square miles. (140,000km2), more  Alberta is home to the largest of three deposits in Canada – the Athabasca region – which uses technologically advanced production processes such as Steam  30 Reclamation of Oil Sands Mining Areas. MARTIN Y. P. FUNG. Sync rude Canada Ltd. Fort McMurrav, Alberta. Canada. TERRY M. MACYK. Alberta Research  22 Feb 2010 At left, one of the original mine pits at Syncrude's Mildred Lake oil sands mine in Alberta, Canada. At right, the same area after reclamation. 4 Jul 2016 The exact composition of Alberta's oil sands can vary greatly, even However, the bitumen content can be as high as 20% in some areas.

9 Nov 2019 Alberta's oil sands were formed millions of years ago in a warm with six producing projects and ongoing exploration activity in the area.

The Syncrude oil sands plant is seen north of Fort McMurray, Alberta. The oil sands give Alberta the third largest reserves in the world, but extracting the oil is energy-intensive and destructive to the landscape. Alberta's oil sands has the third largest oil reserves in the world, after Venezuela and Saudi Arabia. Alberta's oil sands’ proven reserves equal about 165.4 billion barrels (bbl). Crude bitumen production (mined and in situ) totalled about 2.8 million barrels per day (bbl/d) in 2017. The Athabasca oil sands are located in the northeastern portion of the Canadian province of Alberta, near the city of Fort McMurray. The area is only sparsely populated, and in the late 1950s, it was primarily a wilderness outpost of a few hundred people whose main economic activities included fur trapping and salt mining. Alberta’s oil sands are among the world’s largest deposits of crude oil—in fact, there are more than 165 billion barrels of bitumen in the ground. But with big energy reserves come big responsibilities. As the provincial regulator, our rigorous oil sands regulations and requirements continue to evolve to meet new challenges and opportunities. The Oil Sands Information Portal is a searchable data repository, providing maps, reports, graphs, tables and downloads of current and historical trends and details.

Proposed oil sands mining development. The Base Mine Extension project is being considered to sustain the supply of bitumen to the Base Plant facilities as the 

The Alberta Energy and Utility Board estimates that these contain about 1.6 trillion barrels of oil - about 14% of all of the world's total oil resource. The largest deposit is the Athabasca Oil Sands [1]. Location of Alberta oil sands deposits: Map showing the location of the Athabasca, Cold Lake,

9 Nov 2019 Canada's oil sands are the largest deposit of crude oil on the planet. The oil Some refining is done within the oil sands region or other Alberta 

Or 0.55% of the Total Oil Sands Area SURFACE MINEABLEAREA 475,000 Ha (4,750 km2) 51.5 Townships Or 3% of Total Oil Sands Area 99% Surface Mineable Area Under Lease ATHABASCA OIL SANDS AREA 9.3 million Ha (93,000 km2) Or 66% of Total Oil Sands Area 74% Area Under Lease COLD LAKE OILSANDS AREA 1.8 million Ha (18,000km2) The Athabasca oil sands, also known as the Athabasca tar sands, [not verified in body] are large deposits of bitumen or extremely heavy crude oil, located in northeastern Alberta, Canada – roughly centred on the boomtown of Fort McMurray.These oil sands, hosted primarily in the McMurray Formation, consist of a mixture of crude bitumen (a semi-solid rock-like form of crude oil), silica sand Alberta oil sands could eventually acidify area size of Germany, study suggests - The Globe and Mail Environment Canada researchers conducting the largest survey of its kind found that in 2013 more

Alberta oil sands could eventually acidify area size of Germany, study suggests - The Globe and Mail Environment Canada researchers conducting the largest survey of its kind found that in 2013 more the Athabasca region, some of the oil sands are near enough to the surface that they can be surface mined. In the remaining regions, however, the bitumen must be extracted through other methods. The Cold Lake area covers about 18,000 sq km (6,950 sq. mi.). At 300 to 600 m (984 to 1,969 ft.) below the surface, The Alberta Energy and Utility Board estimates that these contain about 1.6 trillion barrels of oil - about 14% of all of the world's total oil resource. The largest deposit is the Athabasca Oil Sands [1]. Location of Alberta oil sands deposits: Map showing the location of the Athabasca, Cold Lake, Only 20% of the Alberta oil sands is mineable (by surface area) The remaining 80% of oil is too deep and can only be extracted using in-situ methods with minimal land disturbance. Oil sands surface area: 142,000 km2. Mineable oil sands area cleared or disturbed: 767 km2. Alberta Oil Sands Oil sands deposits are found around the world, including Venezuela, the United States and Russia, but the Athabasca deposit in Alberta is the largest, most developed and uses the most technologically advanced production processes. > Only 3% of Alberta’s oil sands land surface area can be mined > The remaining 97% can only be developed using in-situ methods like steam assisted gravity drainage (SAGD) with minimal land disturbances > Only 20% of reserves are shallow enough to be extracted via mining operations > In-situ extraction represents 53% of current oil sands production These terms appear on this site and are commonly used by the oil sands industry. Imperial unit of area measurement that equals 43,560 square feet. There are 640 acres in a section. Imperial measures are no longer used in Alberta legislation and area is now measured in hectares. Actual financial